Situated on the southeast coast of China, Macau is an autonomous region of the People’s Republic with the domain name .mo. Macau was handed back to the Chinese in 1999 before which, it was a colony of Portugal. Macau has gained a reputation as being the Las Vegas of the east. Here are 5 fascinating facts about this enterprising nation which through its impressive innovation has earned its place as Asia’s entertainment capital.
1. As an autonomous region of China, it is fact considered the only place in the whole country where you can gamble legally. Such is the popularity of Macau being the only place you can gamble, it actually generates even times more revenue than Las Vegas each year. While Vegas is popular with causal gamblers playing, among other things, penny slots – stakes in Macau are generally much larger.
2. Though Macau’s population is just over half a million people, it’s actually the most densely populated region in the world. Each square kilometer is home to a staggering 21,411. It’s also the richest region in the world according to the World Bank. However, it isn’t the richest country as Macau is officially part of China.
3. While you might not think that a society that has so much emphasis on gambling would be one that which is especially healthy, but Macau has the second highest life expectancy in the world.
4. Though the gambling:suprnation.io industry in Macau is much newer then than those of Monte Carlo and Las Vegas, it has certainly caught up in the size stakes. Not only are the revenues it generates much larger, but Macau is also home to the largest casino in the world and the title belongs to the Venetian Macao. Not only is it the largest casino in the world but it is the sixth largest building in the world when measured by floor space.
5. Though gambling dominates Macau’s reputation, it actually has a great deal to explore and discover. The center is a fabulous collection of colonial buildings and if you head out of the city stunning beaches and tropical landscapes await.